In the olden times, life was tough, especially when people traveled to remote areas where food was a challenge. However, this is no longer the case today. With the revolutionized world, people can carry canned food and use it for as many days as they wish to spend while away from home.
Various canned foods range from fruits, all meat products, milk, and the like, so long as one is enjoying a balanced diet. The canning of food comes with a different aspect where they must be opened during use. This is where can openers come in.
A can opener is a must-have item in every kitchen, whether to be used at home, camping, vacation or holiday, or in any event with canned food. Can openers have made it very easy to open and use the food at any time of convenience.
This article will provide some informative information about using a manual opener with one wheel. Next time you are out for a holiday, remember to pack it in your accessories and enjoy yourself.
Steps to Using a Manual Can Opener
Manual can openers are among the easiest and efficient accessories that are hand-operated by anyone. It works by way of opening the arms and positioning the cutting edge into the edge of the can. The handles are then rotated separately to ensure that the lid safely opens. It’s always a caution to take care not to cut your fingers using sharp edges, which may happen at times. Therefore, if you are not very conversant with using the can opener, it’s essential to seek help from an experienced person.
Below are the steps to use a manual can opener.
1. Opening the can opener’s arm. This is very important to enable the opener to fit rightfully into the edge of the can. This is done by ensuring that you are working on a flat surface. Make sure that the turning handle does not face the same direction from the can.
2. Place the cutting edge of the can opener on the top of the lid. This should be parallel to the point you want to start cutting the tin. While opening the can opener’s wings, fit the cutting wheel on the edge of the tin.
3. Closing the can opener’s arm – This enables one to make a hole in the lid, where it will be the starting point of evenly cutting the edge. Insert some pressure in the handle and open the can with the cutting wheel gently.
4. Use the freehand for turning the knob – When you have pierced the lid, one will need to have a continuous and smooth edge, and the freehand will support turning the knob so that the opener moves around the cans rim to open up to satisfaction.
5. Detach the lid on a 360 degrees turn. As you continue turning the knob and moving the blade around the tin, it will be entirely detached. However, one can leave at least an inch of the uncut lid if you wish to manually close it back for later use of the canned food. Be careful not to cut yourself while working on this last step.
6. Use the ingredients. The last step is to open up the lid, fetch a portion of the food and enjoy. In case of any leftover lock tightly with the uncut edge for later use.
Indeed a manual can opener is friendly and easy to use as it has been from time immemorial, even before the invention of the electric and battery-operated can openers. To date, many people keep using it, and more so when working away from home and power might be a challenge.
Advantages of Using a Manual Can Opener
A manual opener has many advantages that outweigh other openers, such as;
- They do not depend on power – In case of power outages or battery failures, this opener’s operations are not affected in any way, unlike the rest, which will only be operated under power.
- Made of high quality – Manual can openers are made of high-quality materials which make their lifespan longer.
- Not easily damaged – Unlike electric can openers, which are easily damaged by power surges, manual can opener will last for years, offering convenient service.
- Cheap – They are far much less expensive than electric and battery-operated can openers.
- Easy to use and reliable .
Also read: How to Use an Old Fashioned Can Opener?
Proper Maintenance of Manual Can Opener
No matter how small an appliance may look, it’s essential to take care of it and ensure it serves for an extended period.
The first and foremost point to take charge of is to store it in a cool and dry place. Possibly in the kitchen drawers where there is no moisture. Otherwise, if exposed to moisture, it can collect bacteria which might raise a health concern.
Whether you know how to use an old school can opener or a can opener with two wheels, maintenance is paramount. Keep away any acidic liquids from getting into contact with the opener to avoid rusting.
However, if you notice any rust forming, soak it in a jar of vinegar for ten minutes, wipe it with a clean towel and ensure proper storage.
Troubleshooting Can Opener
It’s inevitable to keep can openers from breaking now and then. This could be as a result of misuse, or it could be of poor quality. The way out in such a case is to rub the tip of the spoon on the lip of the can and work back and forth until the friction thins. Move around the rim of the can until the spoon is fully rubbed, and that is it for troubleshooting.
Also read: How to Use a Butterfly Can Opener
Using a Manual Can Opener on a Camping Trip
Are you on a camping trip? Using a manual opener is a must-have item in your travel bag. The steps mentioned above are the exact steps that are to be used even when away from home and get the same good results as you would get even when using a battery-operated can opener.
Q. What should one look for while buying a can opener?
A. The most important features to look for when buying a can opener include the durability, materials used, comfortable hand grips, sharp and smooth cutting wheel, cost, and how often the opener will be used.
Q. How can one sharpen a manual can opener?
A. By rubbing sandpaper through it for a few minutes, it will be as sharp as new.
Can openers are essential in every household and, as such, very important to keep stress levels low when safely cutting the tins. Buy one today and enjoy a full wide of experiences that can hardly be experienced without one, whether in the kitchen, camping, or use for commercial purposes. It’s indeed useful.