There is an old saying that goes “a workman is only as good as his tools”. That couldn’t be more appropriate when it comes to cooking delicious, soft, and fluffy pancakes at home.
Whether you prefer a packet mix or to whip your batter up from scratch, they will undoubtedly taste, smell, and look better if you choose the best griddle pan for pancakes.
We have found our pick of the best available, both electric machines and manual griddles compatible with every thinkable cooking surface.
We do all of the research to help you to make the most personal and perfect buying decision.
Table of content
Table of Contents
Top 10 Best Griddle Pan for Pancakes
[amazon box=”B005FYF3OY,B00VS1VQJY,B00066XROO,B016B40XT6,B004ATJGF2,B00BF9Q1G2,B00DE1CGKY,B000E1WA7Q,B06Y5MN41H,B00005AL8X” template=”table”]
1. Presto 22-inch Electric Griddle – Best Large Pancake Griddle
Cooking breakfast or brunch for a large family is extremely hard work if you have to use multiple pans. It makes for more mess and additional cleanup.
This extra-large electric griddle from Presto makes preparation and cleanup a breeze with its huge, 22” non-stick cooking surface. This one piece of equipment is all you need for pancakes, eggs, bacon, burgers, it can even cook 6 grilled cheese sandwiches at a time.
The cooking surface is exceptionally tough and durable. Made from heavy cast aluminum, it should never warp or crack. The excellent non-stick properties are aided by the slightly rugged surface. Each tiny indent is an air pocket that prevents food from sticking and allows it to lift off with ease. This also makes for easy cleanup.
The temperature is controlled by a thermostat that sits neatly in the corner. It can be removed, along with the power cord, allowing the rest of the griddle to be thoroughly washed in a sink of water.
We love the side handles, they remain cool during use and are great for helping transport the griddle. They are attached to the 4-corner feet which raise it from the counter to prevent scorch marks. With a simple clip operation, the handles detach so that the griddle can be vertically stored in most kitchen cabinets.
The griddle heats up fast making it particularly energy efficient. The heat spreads evenly across the entire cooking surface, courtesy of the aluminum base.
It is easy to see why this is Amazon’s most popular griddle pan, it is easy to use, easy to clean, and makes delicious pancakes.
- Large cooking surface for big families
- Versatile, cook multiple foods
- Removable handles and drip tray
- Compact, vertical storage
- Effortless food release
- Fast and even heating and cooking
- If not thoroughly cleaned after each use, it may smoke
- Not PTFE or PFOA-free non-stick
2. Cuisinart Double Burner Griddle – Best Stainless Steel Pancake Griddle
If you’re looking for the best stovetop griddle, particularly if you cook on induction heat, you should take a look at this Cuisinart model.
It has a tri-ply construction of a layer of pure aluminum sandwiched between 2-layers of stainless steel. This ensures robust durability with the added even heat distribution that aluminum is famed for. The brushed stainless steel exterior adds a high-quality, professional look to it.
The large 10″ x 18″ cooking surface has Heat Surround Technology; not just the base heats evenly, but also the side walls. This makes cooking fast, efficient, and provides lovely, even results with every use.
The generous size of the griddle enables one to cover 2-burners with enough cooking space to make pancakes for large gatherings, sauté vegetables, and perfectly sear steaks. It is compatible with all cooking surfaces, whether you choose to cook on gas, electric, ceramic, or induction.
The side handles are riveted on for safety. They are substantial enough to give you the confidence to carry the griddle even when full; they still manage to look elegant. Both handles stay cool to the touch whilst cooking.
Cooking on stainless steel is an art, but once you have mastered low to mid-temperatures, and cooking room temperature food, we are sure you will love this griddle. Cuisinart certainly does, they have backed it with a lifetime warranty.
- Compatible with all cooking surfaces, including induction
- Tri-ply construction for strength and durability
- Aluminum core supplies evenly distributed heat
- Fits a double burner
- Drip-free pouring rim
- Safe riveted handles
- The handles may get warm after long cooking periods
- Not in the budget range
3. Presto Drain Cool Touch Big Griddle – Best Electric Pancake Griddle
Electric skillets don’t come much bigger than this one, it is a huge 15” x 19”. It is comfortably big enough to cook 12 generous-sized pancakes, a pack of bacon, or a dozen eggs in one go!
Temperature is easily programable via the Control Master. Once the desired heat is reached, up to 400f., the thermostat ensures it is maintained and doesn’t dip.
As the unit is made from aluminum, all of the heat distributes evenly across the cooking surface leaving no hot or cold spots.
The front and both sides of the cooking plate have a cool-touch safety rim to prevent accidental burns. The rear has a tilting design, perfect for cooking meat. All of the excess grease and juices will naturally flow into the grease cup for a healthier meal. Disposal is then a simple task.
Lay the cooking surface flat for all other ingredients, including eggs and sandwiches.
The smooth, non-stick coating is incredibly thick and responsive. Providing you don’t use metal utensils on it, it will require the tiniest bit of butter to give effortless food release.
It is very easy to clean, particularly if you do so while it is still a little warm. Use silicone or wooden spatula to wipe off any grease or food debris, straight into the drip pot, and wipe the surface with a paper towel. In most cases that is sufficient. Where there is food debris stuck, unhook the temperature control and the power cord and the entire thing is safe to immerse in soapy water. Just remember not to use any scratchy scourers as they may degrade the non-stick coating.
- Huge, family-sized cooking plate
- Cool-Touch rims
- Tilt and drain mechanism for healthier cooking
- Premium non-stick coating
- Even heating ensures no hot or cold spots
- Not recommended with metal utensils
- The drip tray could be bigger
4. Cuisinart Silver Griddler – Best Budget Griddle for Kitchen
When is a griddle more than a griddle? When it is the Cuisinart Griddler, that’s when.
- It is a versatile, multi-functional piece of kitchen equipment with 5 different uses.
- It is a high-quality grill, with a tough non-stick surface.
- It becomes a contact grill when the lid is closed down, enabling the user to cook both sides of the food simultaneously.
- Flip the reversible cooking plates on one side and you have the a non-stick griddle for pancakes.
- Open the machine out flat to double the cooking surface, choose from all grill, all griddle, or 1-side of each
- It’s a panini press, for the perfect toasted sandwiches
The machine is robust, it’s made from stainless steel for added durability. The cooking plates have high-quality non-stick layers, they clip out easily and can be popped in the dishwasher.
The full-length handle is strong and provides perfect leverage for paninis. The hinge and cover ‘float’ allowing the deepest filled sandwiches to toast with ease. When opened out, the big handle becomes the rear leg to give additional stability.
The controls are easy to understand, they are marked and maintain the desired heat. There are 2-lights, the first tells the user when the power is on, the second when the temperature is reached.
The cooking surface is huge, particularly when opened out. We love that you can cook different foods in different styles, all at the same time. Grill a huge pile of bell peppers on one side while chicken or steak fries on the other. There is a gutter and removable drip tray to catch any excess grease.
This is a brilliant machine for a family as a huge batch of pancakes can be cooked in one go.
- 5-in-1 cooking styles for multiple ingredients
- Huge cooking surface, two 11 x 9 surfaces
- Removable drip tray
- Floating hinges for thick cuts of meat and sandwiches
- Dual thermostats, control each side separately
- The tilt could be greater to drain more grease
- Takes over half an hour to cool enough for cleaning
5. Nordic Ware Smiley Face Pancake Pan – Best Pancake Pan
It is hard not to notice the pancake molds on this griddle pan. There are 7 indents and each one features a different smiley face. What a brilliant way to get kids to eat their pancakes. Actually, all kids love pancakes, perhaps it’s a great way to get them out of bed in the morning.
As it is made from cast aluminum, the heat will distribute evenly across the cooking surface, ensuring every pancake is the same uniform color.
Once the pan is heated and a little oil is added, it takes only a couple of minutes before the pancake is ready to flip, and a minute longer before it’s ready to eat.
The pans are available in a variety of designs; autumn leaves, holidays, snowflakes, and our personal favorite, zoo animals.
The pan is made in the USA, only the handle is of Chinese construction. It feels a comfortable weight to hold, certainly not heavy. The long handle stays nice and cool on the stovetop, even if you end up making 3 or 4-batches!
- PFOA and PTFE-free non-stick coating
- Compatible with gas, electric, and ceramic stoves
- Makes 7-pancakes at once
- Lightweight and durable
- Cool handle
- Made in the USA
- Not induction compatible
- Each pancake is only ¼ “ deep
6. Ecolution Non-Stick Griddle Pan – Best Flat Griddle Pan
When you’re looking for the best pancake griddle, you should take a good look at this one. It has a large 11″ flat and smooth non-stick cooking surface. It is shallow so storage is no worry and has a long handle with a silicon cover to protect from heat.
Did we mention that it is red, well to give it its proper name, Crimson Sunset? It is a beautiful shade that would complement most kitchen designs.
The non-stick coating is PFOA-free, Hydralon. It is water-based for added safety.
It is very effective and releases food with ease. Any efficient non-stick coatings are simple to clean, this is no exception. Once it has cooled all it takes is a wipe over with a damp towel, or if you prefer, it is safe to clean in the dishwasher.
Combine the non-stick layer with the heavy-gauge aluminum construction for fast and even heat distribution. This is enhanced by the leaf-shaped heat bands on the underside of the pan.
This is a beautifully crafted pan that is perfect for frying, searing, sautéing, and griddling pretty much any food you choose.
- Beautiful design
- Durable Hydralon non-stick
- Heat bands for excellent heat distribution
- Versatile use
- Available in smaller sizes
- Not compatible with induction stoves
- Only use wooden or silicone utensils
7. Calphalon Square Griddle – Best Non Stick Griddle
This is a classic-looking griddle pan, with a low-rim and large, flat cooking surface. It is made from aluminum which guarantees equal amounts of heat spreads across the pan in little time.
The shallow rim makes it a good surface for cooking meat on, the rim traps all of the excess meat and juices. It is the smooth surface that makes it ideal for uniformly colored pancakes.
The non-stick surface is amazing, it is so tough. This is due to there being 3-layers of it, the first 2 add durability while the third adds amazing non-stick properties.
Healthier cooking is a breeze as the griddle requires the smallest amount of butter or oil.
We love the stylish handle. It is sleek and ergonomically designed to make it comfortable to hold. It is made from brushed stainless steel to add a contemporary touch, and also to ensure it stays cool on the stove.
Hard-anodizing aluminum makes it safe to go in the dishwasher for easy cleanup. It also makes the griddle oven-safe up to 450f. This is ideal for finishing those seared steaks or cutlets off in the oven.
- Tri-ply non-stick for excellent durability
- Stay-cool riveted handle
- Promotes healthy eating
- A large 11-inch square cooking surface
- The flat surface is perfect for pancakes
- Not induction compatible
- You must follow exacting instructions to prevent warping
8. Lodge Cast Iron Single-Burner Griddle – Top Rated Griddles
This cast iron griddle plate could become a permanent part of your kitchen with its ability to cook almost anything in a variety of styles. It can sear, broil, fry, and grill on any stovetop. In fact, why stop there, it is cast iron which is virtually indestructible, use it over the campfire too.
It sits perfectly over a single burner and heats rapidly. Cast iron is renowned for maintaining heat so everything is cooked to perfection in a very time-efficient manner. If you’re cooking pancakes, toasting sandwiches, or warming tortillas, use with the flat side up. For meat, flip it over and use the side with the ridges.
Cleanup should only be done by hand. Under warm water and with a scrubbing brush if necessary. We find rubbing with salt helps to remove stubborn residues. As the non-stick improves, you will find cleanup takes less time.
Cast iron takes a little more maintenance than other cooking surfaces. It will require seasoning after every use. This just requires you to rub a little oil in when it is dry. It will enhance the cooking surface over time until you end up with a beautiful non-stick coating.
There are handles in the corner to make transporting the griddle easier. They also have hanging holes if you like to display your cookware.
We love this griddle, it can be used straight from the box and requires the smallest storage space.
- Compatible with every stovetop
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Made in the USA
- The corners retain heat, always use gloves or silicone pot holders
- Will need regular seasoning
9. Vremi Nonstick Cast Iron Griddle – Best Cast Iron Griddle
This is a cast iron griddle pan that has enough cooking space to feed a small army. It measures 18 x 12″ so it is probably the best pan for cooking pancakes. Dozens of them!
It is reversible, one side is flat and smooth, the perfect surface for breakfast treats. Flip it over to the opposite side where you will find ridges that will leave those classic grill marks on your steaks and sausages.
All you need is a twin-burner stove to rest it on.
Both sides of the griddle have a grease channel that runs around the perimeter. This is where any excess grease runs away and settles until you have finished cooking. Other models that don’t have a similar draining system allow the meat to cook in its fats, not at all healthy.
Cast iron heats and retains heat brilliantly. This allows the user to sear steaks and larger cuts of meat on the stovetop, before popping it in the over to finish off. There are no plastic parts, everything is made of cast iron, even the strong handles that supply a comfortable grip for transporting.
It will arrive pre-seasoned and ready to use. You will need to season it regularly to keep the surface non-stick. This will build up over time until you will barely need to use any oil at all.
As cast iron is virtually indestructible, this griddle should last a lifetime, and maybe another one after that.
- Superb heat distribution
- Reversible smooth and ribbed surfaces
- Compatible with all cooking surfaces
- Large cooking area
- For indoor and outdoor use
- It is heavy
- Not dishwasher recommended
10. All-Clad Nonstick Anti Warp Griddle – Best Home Griddle
Anyone familiar with the name All-Clad knows that their products are high-performance and crafted to last. This griddle pan is no exception. It is strong and substantial and features anti-warp technology.
It is constructed from layers of anodized stainless steel to give it a safe and durable non-stick cooking surface. Inside is a layer of aluminum to promote exceptional heat conductivity. This griddle will heat evenly across the entire surface, with no hot or cold spots. Everything you cook will have a uniform color.
We just love the styling of this griddle. The matt black cooking surface combined with the polished stainless steel handles looks incredibly stylish like it would look at home in most professional kitchens.
Talking of the handles, they are very deep with lots of clearance. They won’t overheat on the stove but if you prefer to pick the griddle up with mitts on it isn’t a problem.
The exterior anodized steel is guaranteed not to chip, peel, or scratch, ensuring the griddle looks immaculate for a long time. This is assisted by the fact that it is so very easy to clean. Nothing sticks so it simply wipes clean after each use.
The interior of the griddle has a small channel running around the perimeter. That catches all of the greasy residues from meats to prevent them from sitting in them.
This is possibly the best nonstick griddle for families and busy professional kitchens.
- Tri-ply, high-quality construction
- PFOA-free non-stick coating
- Warp, scratch, and peel-resistant
- The large family-sized cooking surface
- Ideal for gas and electric stovetops
- Not induction or glass stove compatible
- Do not use for searing, it won’t withstand the heat
Firstly decide which type of griddle exactly suits your circumstances, manual or electric. Other considerations include;
The cooking surface varies between griddles. Cast iron pans develop a natural non-stick that improves over time. Some people are wary of using non-stick coatings for fear of chemicals used in their construction. Since 2012 all non-stick surfaces adhere to very stringent rules and no longer contain PFOA, cadmium, or lead. Some still contain PTFE but only in safe amounts and that doesn’t trigger until a heat, much higher than we cook with, is reached. Stainless steel cooking surfaces are notoriously difficult to cook with, but once you have mastered a few simple rules, it can be a very easy and pleasurable experience.
The size of each griddle pan also varies. Some have space for 4-pancakes at a time while others can easily accommodate 12 or more. Consider how many people you will regularly cook for.
Your cooking source will also affect your choice. For instance, many griddles aren’t compatible with induction stovetops. Some of the 2-burner griddle plates struggle to heat evenly between the burners and leave cold spots. They also don’t sit very level on glass/ceramic stoves due to their odd-shaped bases.
Versatility matters. If you have plenty of cookware but just need a griddle for pancakes, there is an option for you. If you prefer a multifunctional appliance where you’re able to cook all the components of a meal, we suggest you look at the large-sized manual or electric burner.
Tradition shows pancakes cooked on a skillet on a stovetop. If that matters to you, steer away from the electric models.
Durability is a big concern. No one can afford to spend their hard-earned cash for the griddle to deteriorate in no time at all. Read reviews, ensure you get a skillet with a very long life expectancy. Or one with a long warranty!
Cost is always a big factor. Some of the best-cast iron pancake griddles are also more affordable. The most expensive isn’t always the best. We have found a range of pans that should suit all budgets.
Also read: [TOP] Best Wok for Electric Stove
Types of griddles
There are multiple styles and designs of kitchen griddle which fall into 1 of 2 categories.
- These require no power supply, instead, they heat and cook on your existing stovetop.
- Some are easily recognizable as low-profile pans that sit on a single burner.
- Others are rectangular shaped with a larger cooking surface for families. These will sit across 2-burners.
- Manual griddles are constructed from a variety of metals.
- Known for its excellent conduction properties, aluminum cookware heats fast and cooks food evenly. It leaves no hot or cold spots.
- It is durable, scratch-resistant, and lightweight.
- Often cast-aluminum griddles are dishwasher safe or can be fully immersed in warm water.
- They are suited to low and medium heat settings.
- Contemporary looks that complement all kitchens and existing cookware.
- Conducts heat well.
- Compatible with induction cooking.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Lightweight and durable
- Superb heat distribution and retention.
- Builds up natural non-stick
- Compatible with all cooking surfaces
- Durable, can last forever.
- These also come in different styles and are useful for spaces where there is no gas supply.
- They often come with adjustable temperature control dials.
- One rectangular cooking panel suitable for pancakes, meat, and vegetables along with anything else you would regularly griddle.
- A griddle of 2-halves that can open out to double the cooking surface and styles
Useful hints for looking after a griddle pan
- Stop your griddle plate from warping…do not immerse it in water until it has complete cooled
- Do not use cooking spray on non-stick surfaces…it leaves a gummy residue, ruins the food, and degrades the griddle
- Wonky-shaped pancakes? You’re flipping too early. Wait until you see the edge too brown before you toss them over
- Use a sprinkle of salt and a soft cloth to get the stubborn residue off cast iron griddles
- Great Pancakes Start With Great Griddles
Who doesn’t love warm and fluffy pancakes in the morning? Whether you serve them fruit, maple syrup, just butter, or a bit of everything, we have our favorite recipe for you.
Dry Ingredients Wet ingredients
1.5 cups of all-purpose flour 1 cup of milk
3.5 tsp baking powder 1 egg, beaten
1 tsp white sugar 3 tsp melted butter
1 tsp salt
- Begin to preheat your griddle.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients.
- Mix well until you have a smooth consistency and set aside.
- Add a little butter to the griddle and then spoon half a cup of batter for each required pancake. Pour gently and it will rest in a natural circle.
- When the underside is cooked, flip it and wait a minute or 2 until golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
If you want to mix things up a little, try adding different flavors to the pancake batter, such as vanilla, cocoa powder, or a handful of raisins.
Also read: [TOP 10] Best Hot Plate for Cooking
1. Are all griddle pans available with a warranty?
All of the ones featured in our reviews do, yes. They range from 1-year to a lifetime guarantee. Refer to each product for details, and remember, a limited warrant will always depend on your correct application of the griddle.
2. What is the best griddle for making pancakes?
There is no definitive answer, it is down to personal choice, the type of stove you cook on, and how many people you cook for.
We use a cast iron griddle plate for pancakes, eggs, and such. That suits us. But, we also use an electric griddle to cook all of our bacon, sausage patties, and steaks.
3. Are griddle pans easy to clean?
Some are easier than others, depending on their construction.
If you have a griddle with a great non-stick surface, then nothing should stick and it should wipe clean.
Some electric griddles have removable plates that pop in the dishwasher, which couldn’t be easier.
4. Can I use metal utensils on a griddle?
We always recommend silicone or wooden utensils on every cooking surface, to maximize its service life.
However, cast iron griddles are safe with any style of utensil, they are virtually indestructible.
Warm, fluffy pancakes are a delight at any time of the day, not just at breakfast time. Having the griddle pan for pancakes ensures that you are only ever a few minutes away from the delicious treat. We hope that our guide has helped you to choose the perfect model for you and that you get many happy years of service from it.